We who with songs beguile your pilgrimage / And swear that Beauty lives though lilies die, / We Poets of the proud old lineage / Who sing to find your hearts, we know not why ... (James Elroy Flecker)

4.4.18

Many Voices

Poetry Month, day 4

Many Voices


… the deep / Moans round with many voices. 
– Tennyson: “Ulysses”


I'm still and always the girl
who grew up on an island

in a town surrounded by mountains 
and bushland and orchards and fields

with a wild cataract gorge
calming to a smooth river

and always, around it all,
the sea, the sea, the sea

the pearly-crested, foaming ocean
soaring up rocks or stroking the sands

and through my window the high sky
which I always knew as horizon, calling.

And all of the voices moan in me
and rustle and sigh and cry through me

and whisper and murmur and croon
and roar out loud and laugh and sing

and ultimately speak in me: and through me,
and from me, and for me, and in my voice

and in their own voices, and we are all one –
we many – bird and tree, cloud and sky,

river and orchard, forest and field,
mountain and shore, rock and sea;

and wherever I go, over the horizon,
always the island sleeps in me

and wakes in me when I seek words
to speak truth, to sound the deep.


(I grew up in Launceston, Tasmania)


Written for the prompt Transformations at "imaginary garden with real toads", in which we are asked what poetic selves sing for us.

21 comments:

  1. I did not know that you grew up in Tasmania - it seems a most mysterious spot and certainly home to singularity. I truly love the lines in which you speak of that heritage - they sing of the sea and sky in a unique voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so passionate. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond beautiful, Rosemary!💜 I love how you have embodied nature here and enjoyed your voice in this poem.😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how you might carry the island within. It strikes me as an evocative place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked hearing your feelings about island living. After I knew people did, or could. I've sort of been liking the thought of living on an island. But now I'm too old, I worry about safety.
    We were in Tasmania in January 2014. I posted some on my other blog, search it for kangaroo to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favourite of yours, my friend. How it sings! Absolutely glorious. And how wonderful, to have been born in Tasmania! Which sounds a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naming the powers keeps them coming to you. I think mine is definitely the mountains and the river. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sea the sea the sea...says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sound in your poem... I miss the sea... grew up much closer to it than where I'm now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your vision of your home and your muse.Beautifully written and a sensual pleasure to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The love you have for the place you grew up shines through so powerfully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this fine poem, and greetings from Launceston :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good to know that my poetry is read regularly by a fellow-Taswegian, and indeed Launcestonian, who can understand that context more deeply than anyone (even when it's unstated).

      Delete
  13. Such a fine homage to homeland and beginnings--like a flag raised over all of your work. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rosemary - I can’t tell if my comment took—I think this is a marvelous poem, a new favorits. Thanks much. K.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There is something almost Robert frost-like in your voice in this one, Rosemary! I can hear that sea coming in! A genuine delight! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh may the island girl never leave you. I read your words as power, mystic, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've made it sound like a beautiful, magical place...to grow up in, or to visit through this poem.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T PANIC IF YOUR COMMENTS DON'T POST IMMEDIATELY. They are awaiting moderation. Please allow for possible time difference; I am in Australia. ALSO, IF YOU ARE FORCED TO COMMENT ANONYMOUSLY – do add your name at the end, so I know it's you!